Tuesday, March 30, 2010

March 30 - Controlling Anger

 
My dear borthers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen,
slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not 
bring about the righteous life that God desires. 
Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent 
and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.
James 1:19-21 

Anger is such a strong word; it contains so much meaning and emotion. There are two types of anger. First, we get angry with injustice and sin that corrupts our world. Proverbs 14:21 Blessed is ho who is kind to the needy tells us that this type of anger is justified because it is in defense of someone that is being hurt. On the other hand, our anger can stem from selfishness and and personal self-righteousness. Have you ever kept a mental note of your conversations with others? Do you talk more than listen? Do you get mad when you feel unvalidated in your opinions? Or do you get mad when your child disrespects you? From time to time these are things we all struggle with. You are not alone in your anger. But fellow sibling in Christ, I urge you to ask for the Lord's strength and wisdom in controlling your anger. It is such an insidious emotion. It is the devil at work within your heart. Today I want to encourage you to be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry.

For more encouraging words read Ephesians 4:17-32

Dear Father God, I come before you today to ask for your forgiveness. O Lord please forgive me for my quickness to get angry and my in ability to listen patiently to those around me. Father please guide me and strengthen me today as I go about my day. I do not want to be quick to anger. I want to feel calm and peace within my heart. Show me O Lord when I need to be patient, when I need not take others comments personally, and the confidence to feel validated through you even when I don't feel it from others. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment