Tuesday, March 2, 2010

March 2 - Following Our Lord

Photobucket
Then a teacher of the law came to him and said, 
"Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go."
Jesus replied, "Foxes have holes and birds have nests,
but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head."
Another disciple said to him, "Lord, first let me go and bury my father."
But Jesus told him, "Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead."
Matthew 8:19-22

Today is a precious gift from God. Everyday is heaven sent, a gift to be thankful for. You might have a "to-do" list or general plan for how today is going to go. How likely is your day really going to go the way you planned it? If you are like me, not very likely. I always have an idea of what I need or want to get done, but more times than not my day ends nothing like I had planned.

What about Jesus' disciples for which he called to follow Him in Matthew 8? Surely they didn't wake up that morning and know they were going to be called to be one of Jesus' chosen disciples. Despite the fact that being a disciple wasn't on their "to-do" list for the day these men still left all they had and walked along side Jesus.

Are you like the teacher of religious law and faithfully without question will follow your Heavenly Father wherever he leads you? Or are you more like the other disciple that wants to bury his Father and "follow Jesus later"? You may not know where God is going to take you today but I want to encourage you to faithfully walk by his side, going where he calls you.

As Jesus went on from there, he saw a man named Matthew
sitting at the tax collector's booth. "Follow me,"
he told him, and Matthew got up and followed him.
Matthew 9:9

Heavenly Father today I ask for your guidance and strength. I do not know where you will lead me today but Lord I vow to faithfully walk by your side and go where you call me. Today and everyday God Almighty I will be your disciple and follow the path you set before me. Please give me the wisdom and strength to see Your way for my life. In Your name I pray, Amen.

1 comment:

Far Above Rubies said...

Alexis, thank you for this devotional thought. I needed it.

Thanks for passing by Windmills and Tulips. I appreciate you. xox

Post a Comment