Wednesday, March 10, 2010

March 10 - Embracing Contentment


Keep your lives free from the love of money and be 
content with what you have, because God has said, 
"Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."
Hebrews 13:5

How much emphasis and importance do you put on material things in your life? Are you dreaming of a "perfect" house? A "perfect" family? Dreaming of your next income raise? My dear friend, if you continue to dream of a "perfect" life, you will dream your entire life away. Set aside your discontent and appreciate the beauty and marvel of your life today. Despite struggles, despite hardships, your Heavenly Father has created a perfect life for you here and now. He is owed all praise and honor for the blessings in your life. You will not be taking any of your material possessions with you to heaven. Your bank account will be worthless when He calls you home. The bigger TV, the better car, those new washers and dryers will all stay here when you go home to God. God said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." He has given you all that you need and for that you should be thankful and content.

Hebrews 13:5 had a profound impact in my life. For so long I dreamed about a bigger house, a sprawling yard, and an endless bank account. Then God led me to this verse. My eyes were opened and although I knew I should be content, this verse shook me to my core and I finally understood. He will never leave me! I have all that I need. It doesn't matter what size my house is, what type of car I drive or what my washer and dryer look like. It comes down to one question. Do I have all that I need? Of course I do. Sure those other things would be nice, but I don't need them. I have a roof over my head, food on my table, clean clothes, and a reliable car for my family. I have all that I need through Him and because of Him. This verse has also prompted my husband and I to pursue a simpler life. We now realize that a job title and fancy house mean nothing to our Heavenly Father. Through this verse we have the strength and confidence to move forward with plans  laid upon our hearts long ago. A seed of the simple life we know was planted by our Father.

Read Proverbs 30:8-9

Dear Heavenly Father, I come before you today to ask that you wipe clean the discontent from my heart. Father I know you have given me all that I need in this  life. Please teach me through your word to be content and satisfied with all the wonderful blessings you have bestowed upon a wretch like me. Thank you Father for all that you have given me. In Your name I pray, Amen.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment